Our Commitment to Sustainability
The Union of Concerned Scientists combines independent scientific research and citizen action to develop innovative, practical environmental solutions and promote responsible changes in government policy, corporate practices, and consumer choices. But we don't just promote solutions, we adopt them so that we operate in the most environmentally responsible way possible.
To achieve this goal, we have created a Sustainability Task Force (STF) dedicated to minimizing our organization’s environmental impacts by enabling our staff to bring a sustainability focus to all UCS decision-making. The STF brings together members of every program at UCS, and works to act as a catalyst for our sustainability efforts by harnessing the expertise of our scientists and experts. Specifically, our organizational goals include:
- Walking our talk: Ensuring continued organizational implementation of recommendations put forth by UCS experts in our publications.
- Minimizing global warming emissions: Measuring, managing, and setting goals to reduce the organization’s carbon footprint, while bringing an environmental focus to the UCS decision-making process.
- Convening a dialogue: Bringing colleagues together from across different programs at UCS, with the goal of using our diverse expertise to create proactive, innovative ways to improve sustainability at the organization.
- Empowering sustainability everywhere: Providing UCS employees the resources we all need to make personal as well as organizational changes related to sustainability.
- Serving as a model: Helping other organizations on their journey to sustainability by publicizing our work and partnering in the development of industry best practices.
The STF also works on a wide range of day-to-day sustainability efforts within UCS, including recycling and composting at our offices, convening regular lunchtime gatherings to discuss sustainability issues, organizing community-supported agriculture (CSA) deliveries to our Cambridge and Washington, D.C., offices, and engaging staff in annual Bike to Work Month activities each May.
Annual Sustainability Report
Each year UCS conducts a rigorous analysis of its sustainability efforts, with a focus on measuring the carbon emissions generated by the organization's internal operations. The results provide a critical tool to manage and continually improve our operational carbon footprint.
Our most recent report shows that we're on the right path: From 2009 – 2011, our carbon emissions per employee have declined by more than 3 percent.
Download past reports:
Our Green Offices