Cooler Smarter: Practical Steps for Low-Carbon Living (2012)
The routine decisions that shape our days — what to have for dinner, where to shop, how to get to work — may seem small, but collectively they have a big effect on global warming.
Cooler Smarter: Practical Steps for Low-Carbon Living (Island Press) explains why your individual contribution is so vital to addressing this global problem — and shows you the most effective ways to cut your own global warming emissions by 20 percent or more.
Cooler Smarter powerfully makes the case that we can no longer afford to wait for someone else to solve global warming, and demonstrates how each of us, working together, can build a low-carbon future.
Cooler Smarter provides practical, science-based advice
Cooler Smarter is based on an in-depth, two-year study by the Union of Concerned Scientists. While other guides suggest an array of tips, Cooler Smarter offers proven strategies to cut carbon, with chapters on transportation, home energy use, diet, personal consumption, plus tips and suggestions for how you can influence your workplace, community, and elected officials to make Cooler Smarter decisions today.
The book explains how to make the biggest impact and when not to sweat the small stuff. It also turns many eco-myths on their head, like the climate impact of food miles or the superiority of all hybrid cars.
With easy-to-use charts and tables, as well as success stories from the frontlines as citizens, companies, and communities across the country fight climate change, the book offers a wealth of science-based strategies that can help you achieve a 20-percent reduction in your carbon footprint—a step the book urges as an important “down payment” toward effectively tackling this problem as a nation.
Get Cooler Smarter today!
- Join the Union of Concerned Scientists today for $35 and receive a complimentary copy of the book with your membership. Or order copies now and receive a 35 percent discount off the cover price—use the discount code 5UCS.
- Discover the top 10 ways to reduce your carbon emissions — and save money at the same time.
- Read an excerpt from Cooler Smarter (PDF) and learn how one person can make a difference in the effort to fight global warming.
- Start reducing your global warming emissions today with our Cooler Smarter interactive web tool.
- Become a low-carbon leader in your community—our Cooler Smarter Trivia Night Kit provides you with a fun and engaging way to get started.
Fast Facts about Cooler Smarter
- Listed on the Boston Bestseller List
- Won best scientific book at the 2013 Green Book Festival
- Featured in U.S. News and World Report, San Francisco Chronicle, Philadelphia Inquirer, and many other publications
- Praised by business leaders, scientists, journalists, and more
- Covered by local and regional TV and radio news programs
- Author talks across the country at book stores, museums, college campuses, and some of the nation’s largest companies
“Adobe invited the Union of Concerned Scientists to give a presentation to employees about their great new book Cooler Smarter: Practical Steps for Low-Carbon Living. Attendees found the presentation to be informative and engaging. Many left with plans to take additional steps to reduce their carbon footprint.”
—Bruce Hodge, Senior Computer Scientist, Adobe
Learn More: How to Save Money on Home Heating and Electricity Costs
Get Cooler Smarter! Learn how a few simple changes at home can save you hundreds of dollars — and help reduce your carbon emissions at the same time.
Jeff Deyette, Senior Energy Analyst at the Union of Concerned Scientists, outlines the steps you can take in this segment from NECN News.