Tell Your Senator: Choose Diplomacy Over More Wars and Reject Pompeo
Former Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has been ousted, and President Trump has nominated the current CIA Director, Mike Pompeo to replace him. But Pompeo has no diplomatic experience and often champions the use of military force over diplomacy to solve international problems. What could possibly go wrong? A great many things—which is why we need your help.
Pompeo shares a similar worldview to Trump—one focused around military power and that rejects true diplomacy. He would offer little buffer to the President’s most dangerous impulses. If Pompeo were confirmed, the result could be military actions—possibly leading to war—that could threaten many thousands of people and increase the risk of the use of nuclear weapons.
Call your senators today!
Call your senators today at 1-866-580-8532 and ask them to oppose the confirmation of Mike Pompeo as Secretary of State!
When you call, you will hear a message from UCS with short talking points. We’ve also provided a sample call script, below, to support you. After you speak to one senator you can dial the same number a second time to be connected with your other senator.
As a congressman, Pompeo called for ending the negotiations with Iran and instead for bombing its nuclear facilities. He continues to call for the of the U.S. to abandon the successful multilateral Iran deal, which would end restriction on Iran’s nuclear program with potentially devastating consequences. And instead of diplomacy with North Korea, Pompeo appears to support military action against it.
Our Secretary of State must have experience in diplomacy and a demonstrated interest in avoiding war – two qualities that Mike Pompeo lacks.
Sample call script:
Hi, my name is _________, and I am a constituent from _________ (city/ town).
I am calling urge you to strongly oppose the nomination of Mike Pompeo to be our country’s next Secretary of State.
Mr. Pompeo has no diplomatic experience, which alone should disqualify him from the job. His nomination would be a threat to national security and increase the chances that the US gets dragged into another devasting war. Pompeo has expressed desire to end the successful Iran nuclear deal and suggests military action against North Korea.
(If your senator is one of the senators who voted for Mike Pompeo in his confirmation for CIA Director (see list here), you can also say: Last year, you supported Mr. Pompeo’s nomination to be CIA director. Today, the stakes and consequences are even higher and it is painfully clear that Mr. Pompeo is ill-suited to be America’s top diplomat.)
Does the senator oppose the confirmation of Mike Pompeo?
If yes: Thank you! I sincerely appreciate [Senator X’s] opposition to Mr. Pompeo! Please pass along my request that the senator will speak out against him for this post.
If no or undecided: Please express my deep concern about Mr. Pompeo to the senator and let [Senator X] know I’m still counting on him/her to oppose her for this post.
Thank you for your time.
[IF LEAVING A VOICEMAIL: please leave your full street address to ensure your call is tallied]
Want to take a second action for additional impact? Write a letter to the editor!
You can urge your senator to oppose the confirmation of Mike Pompeo by writing a letter to the editor (LTE) in your local newspaper! Talking points are below to help you get started, and you can also learn more about how to write a successful letter to the editor.
Please let us know if you’ve submitted an LTE, and how it went, so we can measure our impact!
- President Trump recently selected a far-right hawk, Mike Pompeo, to be at the helm of U.S. foreign policy as Secretary of State.
- Pompeo has no diplomatic experience, which should disqualify him from serving as America’s top diplomat, and champions military strikes over diplomacy to solve international problems.
- He has called for bombing rather than negotiating with Iran and now wants the U.S. to walk away from the highly successful multilateral Iran nuclear deal, which would end the deal’s tight restrictions on Iran’s nuclear program.
- And instead of diplomacy with North Korea, Pompeo appears to support military action.
- Pompeo offers no check on Trump’s most dangerous impulses.
- If Pompeo were to be confirmed, the result could be military strikes—possibly leading to war—that could threaten many thousands of people and increase the risk of the use of nuclear weapons.
- Moreover, Pompeo’s record and views on a range of issues – defending torture, anti-Muslim and LGBT bigotry and climate change denial – are deeply troubling.
- The United States needs a secretary of state who is a strong supporter of diplomacy as a means of improving US security. Mike Pompeo is not that person.
- The Senate should reject his nomination and insist that the president choose someone who respects the benefits of diplomacy, which is a vital component of US security.