Gifts of Stock

Making a gift of publicly traded securities can be a wise way of contributing to the Union of Concerned Scientists.

Please contact Dina Morris at 617-301-8075 or [email protected] in advance if you are transmitting securities via any of the options below. Providing us with your name and the value of the shares you are donating will help ensure your gift is accurately processed and promptly acknowledged.

Please note that UCS can only accept gifts of publicly traded securities.


Giving stock that has been held longer than one year allows you to avoid paying any capital gains tax that would otherwise be due. In addition, you can claim a charitable income tax deduction for the fair market value of the stock on the date on which it was transferred, not just for what it was worth when you acquired it.

The best way to give stock to the Union of Concerned Scientists is to have your broker transfer your securities to UCS's account at UBS Financial Services (One Post Office Square, Boston, MA 02109). To do this, you will need to know:

  • UCS’s account number is RG 01561 and the DTC number is 0221.
  • UCS's account representative at UBS is Tammi Halley; her telephone number is 617-439-8580.

Please let us know in advance if you are transmitting securities via DTC. You may also find it convenient to send us a copy of the letter of authorization to your broker.

Stock certificates

If you hold stocks or bonds in certified form, you may send the certificates by certified mail (with return receipt requested, if you would like to receive proof of its delivery). Do not endorse the certificate.

In a separate envelope that can be mailed with regular postage, send us one stock power for each stock certificate. UCS can provide a stock power (please contact Dina Morris to request one) or your broker can provide one for you. Please sign the stock power as your name is listed on the stock certificate. Please include a dated letter that describes the stock and contains your signature as it appears on the stock power and stock certificate. Upon receipt, your stock gift will be recorded and the certificate sent to our broker for immediate disposition.

Gifts of mutual fund shares

UCS gladly accepts gifts of shares in mutual funds. Special arrangements must sometimes be made to ensure a smooth transfer. Please contact us if you would like to make a donation of mutual fund shares.

Contact us

For more information about gifts of stock, bonds, or mutual funds, please contact Dina Morris at 617-301-8075 or [email protected]. Additionally, you can send information by fax to Dina Morris at 617-864-9405.

To send correspondence via mail:

Union of Concerned Scientists
C/O Dina Morris
Two Brattle Square
Cambridge, MA 02138-3780